Position: Vice President, Debt Team Lead
Job Location: Los Angeles, CA
MetLife Investments is a premier asset manager with breadth across various asset sectors and global markets, and strong asset-liability management capabilities. With a $500 billion combined domestic and international general account portfolio and a multi-billion dollar annual cash flow, Investments is an important contributor to MetLife’s financial performance. The primary objective of Investments is to maximize MetLife’s long-term economic value by investing in assets that support the company’s liabilities and produce a consistent stream of operating earnings.
Global Real Estate and Agricultural Investments maintain a portfolio invested in commercial real estate and agricultural mortgages, as well as real estate equities. Real Estate Investments sources and manages commercial real estate investments through seven regional field offices in the U.S. and International field offices in London, Tokyo, Mexico City and Santiago
Lead a team of real estate professionals to market, identify, analyze, originate, close and manage commercial real estate loan opportunities to fulfill the investment needs of MetLife’s general account and third party clients. Oversee the evaluation, analysis, structuring, negotiation and closing of new debt transactions and the proactive risk management and servicing of the existing loan portfolio. Team Leader is also responsible for staff development. The region includes southern California, Arizona, Nevada, New Mexico and Hawaii.
- Provide leadership in the origination and closing of new commercial real estate loan investments.
- Develop, expand and maintain external relationships with key market participants, such as mortgage bankers, developers and investors.
- Solicit investment opportunities from market participants and communicate MetLife’s commercial real estate loan lending parameters.
- Evaluate new commercial real estate loan investment requests for fit with MetLife’s investment criteria.
- Underwrite potential new commercial real estate loan investments, including evaluating the collateral, sponsorship, and structure. Identify potential risks and propose appropriate structure to mitigate risks.
- Coordinate the preparation of transaction memoranda and present to investment committees for approval.
- Originate and close new commercial real estate loan investments.
- Manage the closing process for new transactions including negotiating loan applications and loan documents, completing all due diligence, and coordinating a closing team that includes loan asset managers, attorneys, architects, appraisers and other third-party service providers.
- Oversee the management and administration of commercial real estate loan investments in the local Regional Office portfolio, including annual mortgage ratings, collateral valuations, property inspections, lease approvals, and loan assumptions and modifications.
- Proactively manage portfolio of real estate loans in accordance with stated strategies. Develop strategies for sub-performing loans.
- Coordinate fulfillment of all loan portfolio reporting requests.
- Foster environment of cooperation and teamwork without detracting from personal accountability of staff for achieving results.
- Maintain a close relationship with Debt Strategies Group.
- Work closely with Regional Director, Asset Management team, and Acquisitions team to establish strong lines of communication and help develop and implement investment strategies and policies affecting the Regional Office.
- Provide a working environment that enables staff to grow and succeed on a professional level.
- Reports to: Regional Director
- Direct reports/team: Debt Team, 7 directs
- Key Stakeholders: Debt Strategies Group, Loan Asset Management, Regional Architects, Risk, Research & Analytics, Portfolio Management, Legal, Finance, Investors & Clients, other Regional Offices Debt teams
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Results-driven professional with over 10+ years of experience in commercial real estate loan investment, including loan workouts.
- Bachelor’s degree in applicable business related field; MBA preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and introduce profitable investment strategies and executing same through dynamic leadership, strategic planning and collaboration with experienced professionals inside and outside the organization.
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Strong marketing and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated computer skills including proficiency with Argus Enterprise, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and the ability to quickly master proprietary internal systems.
- Extensive relationships across the real estate industry, including borrowers and intermediaries
- Motivates People – Gains people commitment to achieve business objectives through clear communication of the company’s vision and flexing leadership styles to inspire high performance.
- Creates Partnerships – Authentically builds trusted relationships and collaborates across global, diverse and multi-functional teams to successfully drive business objectives.
- Grows Talent – Inclusively and pro-actively develops talent, empowers individuals and manages diverse teams to drive engagement and performance.
- Drives Results – Sets aggressive goals and is accountable for continuously driving improved performance, leading change and ensuring high standards.
10+ to 15 years
This job is no longer active.