Main Purpose and Function
The Real Estate Analyst is responsible for supporting decision making for the City of Vancouver’s $5+ Billion Property Endowment Fund (PEF).
Functionally, tasks involve objective and comprehensive property valuation, data analysis, portfolio and specific property cost evaluation, market research and also for providing recommendations to assist in determining asset and portfolio strategy for the PEF.
The Real Estate Analyst provides decision support to enable the PEF to meet its strategic objectives and goals.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
Real Estate Portfolio Management:
- Assists PEF Manager to develop and enhance the internal controls, monitoring procedures, reconciliations and reasonability checks; streamline, automate and enhance existing processes
- Contributes to the development of processes for monitoring, reporting on and analyzing all aspects of Fund Capital Investment.
- Assists with maximizing total returns for each PEF asset category through property analysis to improve performance
- Compares building level cost structures against benchmarks
- Assists PEF manager in creation and implementation of cost reducing/cost transfer property management initiatives
- Supports PEF Manager to respond to property specific enquiries in a timely and professional manner
- Assists, through strategic market analysis, in identifying potential new investment opportunities
- Works closely with PEF Manager to provide direction for and input of annual budgets, long term forecasts, and detailed long term financial planning analysis. Periodically reviews and valuates the existing portfolio in support of annual budgeting process and application of asset management strategies
- Develops, analyzes and distributes periodic asset management reports to senior management
- As required, provides analytical assistance with underwriting and due diligence activities for real estate transactions
- Enhances integrity of PEF building-level operational and physical data
- Models full life cycle financial analysis for each asset from acquisition through disposition
- Determines the financial implications for all major decisions, ensuring value for money and return on investment
- Assists Associate Directors, Property Negotiators and Property Development Officers to evaluate, decide and implement leasing, purchase, and sale activities for PEF assets
- Provides base level inputs, assumptions and analysis for input to budgets and forecasts
- Analyzes performance indicators, asset plans and on-going business results
- Explains the long-term financial and value-for-money implications of PEF initiatives
- Participates in the development of the annual PEF Operating and Capital Budgets
- Participates in the development and ongoing refinement of 4 and 10 year PEF Capital Plans
- In conjunction with Finance support, analyzes quarterly operating and capital budget and recommends actions to ensure on-budget performance.
- Provides base level inputs and assumptions for budgets and forecasts
- Assists in the development of performance and value-for-money metrics
- Analyzes budgets, performance indicators, business plans and on-going financial results
- Presents results to senior managers and City Manager as required
- Develops and analyzes business cases for proposed projects, including cost benefit analysis to justify spending proposals and quantify impact on budgets and forecasts
- Other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Undergraduate degree in Real Estate, Business, Math/Statistics, or other relevant area of study, MBA graduate degree preferred
- Minimum 8 years post designation/graduate experience with extensive experience in performance measurement, financial analysis and reporting
- Considerable related industry experience (real estate company, appraisal firm, lender, brokerage company, retailer)
- A professional real estate designation, such as RIBC, AIC or equivalent
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Extensive knowledge and experience in real estate portfolio management financial analysis
- Advanced knowledge of real estate, business, technology and finance concepts
- Advanced systems knowledge preferably within an ERP environment - experience with financial modules of SAP and data analytics platforms
- Ability to develop custom reports from SAP Real Estate module preferred
- Strong business acumen, business modelling and business case analysis experience
- Data integrity confirmation and data management skills
- Experience in supporting and developing strategies to assist with a variety of corporate decisions in complex situations.
- Ability to write formal reports
- Excellent Excel skills
- Superior verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Excellent organizational and project management skills with ability to manage multiple tasks with competing priorities
- Problem-solving and issue resolution skills in a complex business environment
Interested candidates can apply online.
- Financial Analysis
- Portfolio Management
- Research/Market Analysis
- Alternative Investments
7+ to 10 years