Job Title: Assistant Property Manager
Reports To: Property Management – Commercial Division
FLSA Status: Exempt
Department: Westlake Realty Group, Inc.
Location: 1301 Shoreway, Suite 150, Belmont, CA 94002
About the Company:
Westlake Realty Group is a full-service family-owned real estate investment and development firm with extensive experience in all asset classes of real estate in the San Francisco Bay Area and Western United States. The Company’s current holdings include a diverse portfolio of office, multi-family, hotel, retail, and mixed-use properties primarily located in the San Francisco Bay Area. Throughout the course of its 46-year history, Westlake has acquired, developed, and operated properties in the United States, Mexico, China, and Japan. While the level of our asset management and development services are institutional quality, Westlake’s corporate culture promotes good health, excellence, personal development & belief in the principle of Kai Zen. We value our employees as an extension of our family and strive first and foremost to make Westlake a great place to work.
The Assistant Property Manager will work with others in Property Management to ensure that all aspects (approximately 14 projects, 35 buildings; 1.2M square feet) are covered efficiently and professionally. Portfolio size has opportunity to grow. It is the responsibility of the APM not only to exhibit exceptional client service when communicating with tenants, prospective tenants, vendors and team members, but also to focus on productivity and results. This role is pivotal to the success of our operations.
- Assist Property Manager and Engineering in all facets of building operations including life safety issues, incident reports, and insurance claims.
- Assist in preparing bid packages.
- Review work order reports weekly.
- Contact vendors to schedule work in the building and in tenant spaces.
- Supervise the tenant relations program, working with the Property Administrator and the third party vendors.
- Coordinate building and tenant construction access.
- Perform cleaning, landscaping, and vacant space inspections monthly.
- Perform weekly building inspections.
- Initiate pricing for miscellaneous projects.
- Review COI’s quarterly.
- Track budget –vs- actual costs for operating expenses (i.e. one-time projects, tenant improvements, capital improvements, etc.).
- Code invoices for portfolio.
- Ensure that expenses are paid in month budgeted.
- Review preliminary recurring charges, rent roll information and roll forward from prior month’s rent roll to current month’s rent roll. Test system for accuracy by reconciling with leasing startups and rent changes.
- Prepare tenant bill-backs on a monthly basis (including utility billings, work orders, labor charges, and after-hours HVAC charges).
- Review and assist with preparation of annual tenant escalation reconciliations, tenant escalation letters, and assist with tenant questions and follow-up.
- Contribute to the maintenance of positive tenant relations by professionally assisting with tenant questions relating to accounts receivable.
- Provide back-up for answering property management calls, as necessary.
- Assist in facilitating meetings.
- Assist in preparing annual budgets for assigned properties.
- Manage the Commercial Café site manager administration.
- Maintain daily communication with the Property Manager, Building Engineers, Staff Accountant, and Property Administrator.
- Prepare and distribute tenant memos.
- Review security report and prepare work orders.
- Interface as necessary with tenants, brokers, vendors, and visitors.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred but not required
- Three to Five years’ experience in the real estate industry.
- RPA designation a plus.
- Broker’s License preferred.
- Strong financial and problem-solving skills.
- Relationship Skills – Ability to communicate effectively and professionally, both oral and written with owners, tenants and coworkers; ability to develop and sustain cooperative working relationships; professional phone manner; mature and self-motivated team player with good conflict-resolution skills; committed to personal growth and integrity aligned with Westlake objectives.
- Organizational/Multi-Task Skills – Able to allocate one’s time effectively and manage tight deadlines; ability to work under pressure and achieve quality results; ability to handle multiple demands and competing priorities, and adapt to new ideas and changes; results oriented, detail oriented and accurate.
- Decision Making Skill – Able to resolve problems using facts and sound reasoning; able to achieve goals using a strategic approach; proven innovation with a willingness to manage and adapt to change.
- May be required to perform off site duties through the use of a personal vehicle.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Strong proficiency with property management/accounting software (preferably Yardi), MS Office application (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- An assessment may be administered for computer and communication skills.
- If, at any time, security clearance is required for your job (e.g. you are assigned to work at a property leased by the Federal government), being awarded such clearance will be a condition of your employment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to type, stand, walk, sit, talk and hear.
- Property Management
2+ to 5 years
This job is no longer active.